Monday, May 19, 2008

L2P

A large part of (any) new game, especially one where you were not in beta and are moving into a very hostile environment is learning how to survive and just what you're capable of.

Here are some useful things I learned leveling up my Assassin so far in the early access period:

-When you're in combat, if you double tap W (forward) you gain "momentum." This gives your next attack a chance to stun your target. This is good in PvE and PvP. It keeps people from running from you and stops dps from targets in PvE.

-In addition to this, you can double tap S (back) and for a brief period you have a -50% hit rate but a +50% evade rate.

-Holding or pressing X (active block) at key times during your opponents combos can be devestating.

-I quested quite a bit and was running into quite a lot of people that were bloodthirsty because the server just opened. If you're having issues with PvP stopping you from progression check out instances such as The Maze (21-29) and Outflow Tunnels (30-39.)

-The abilities I've maxed are Hide/Stealth Movement Increase/Endurance. The reason for this is because a big part of PvP'ing for me has been either sprinting away to re-hide or sneaking up/trying to open on someone. These three abilities help that and the others are mostly useless. I respec climbing when I hit a quest that needs it, then move it back.

-Make sure you keep the combos on your bar max level and make sure you're using the combos that do the most damage. I usually open in stealth, combo non-stop until the mob(s) are dead and then heal up and repeat. If I get multiple mobs I often have to use my defensive lotus cooldowns (Kick, Lotus Heal, Evasion feat, etc) to survive or sprint/drink potions which brings me to my last tip.

-Buy a lot of potions.

4 comments:

Julien Abenhaim said...

Thanks a lot for the hunting area and tips, its rly helpful :D

Viia said...

No problem. That's the point of this blog is to help others learn as I learn.

Also- I post a lot on the Assassin forums so check out my posts there.

Anonymous said...

I've been testing momentum and it seems to me that it can not be triggered by the moves you do to accomplish a combo, but only by normal swipes.
Is this true or was i just unlucky? Would be kind of unfair to not be able to trigger them by pre-combo swipes.

Taur said...

Not sure if you still check your old posts! Great tips so far! Its the best assassin guide/blog i've come across so far.

Anyway, i'm relatively new to the assassin/AoC and i'm really struggling to work out which combo attacks are appropriate for what situations.

Such as cunning strikes.. i really don't understand how effective that attack is in pvp. Its gained at low level, doesn't seem anything special apart from managing aggro in pve, however i read somewhere it can take out a frenzied soldier following a stealth attack?

In other blogs i've read that swift strike is useless, however it seems pretty integral to corruption builds. I've even read that the level 4 slam still deals out good damage at later levels?

Anyway, you seem to be a good authority on all things assassin, so would it be possible to give a 101 rundown on the core assassin combo attacks and where their functions would be useful for us new to it all?